Friday, October 18, 2013

A Wedding Card

Today, I'm going to share something I just made...a wedding card.  I was asked to make this for a family friend, so I went a little overboard.  I tend to take my time when creating cards but this one took a long time, I will admit.  I also decided to make the envelope for the card, since it was a tad bit bigger than usual (5-3/4 x 4-1/2 inches).


Wedding Card


A shiny metallic gray CS was used to support the wedding cake. Cut to fit the front of the card. 

A piece of dark gray from your scrap box can be used next as the base for the cake to sit on.  It is 1/4 inch in width and is approximately 4-1/4 inches in length.  You can use 1/8-inch Scor-Pal DST to adhere this to the gray CS or you can lightly glue it with Aleen's Tacky Glue.

A beautiful pearl shiny white CS was used for the cake. Cut the 8-1/2- x 11-inch CS in half and run it through the Cuttlebug with a swirl-type folder (or whatever you would think is appropriate for a cake). Now cut the cake (pardon the expression) by first trimming the sides, then cut it horizontally into three equal pieces. You should now have three pieces that fit together like a puzzle.

Take the bottom layer of the cake and use a corner round punch to clip off the upper sharp corners.  Adhere to gray CS with double-sided tape.

Take the second layer and trim off 1/2 inch off EACH SIDE. This will keep the pattern even on the cake. Then repeat trimming off the upper sharp corners on each side.  Adhere with DST above first layer, following the embossed pattern.

Take the third layer and trim 1 inch off of EACH SIDE. Trim the sharp corners round.  Tape down with DST, matching the cake pattern. Now you should have what looks like a wedding cake!

At this point, I did something that I consider optional:  I had some 6-inch touille on a roll and cut off about a 10-inch section.  I took some white floss (or thread) and cut off three pieces, long enough that you can tie a knot or two in it.  Gather the touille up with your fingers, taking the first piece of floss, centering it in the middle,wrapping it around the touille and pulling it tight, then tie a knot.  Repeat this process on both ends just shy of where the cake rest sits, securing with a surgeon's knot (right-over-left, left over-right). Place a drop of glue, let it dry, then clip off threads close to the thread.  Use Aleen's Turbo Tacky Glue and at each of the three places, glue down the touille so that it looks like netting around the cake. Cut off excess touille with a sharp pair of scissors.

I took some trim I had in my sewing box and glued them down between the layers of the cake (to cover up the seams) with Aleen's Turbo Tacky Glue. I measured each piece with the good old "eyeball" method. Glue any frayed ends or ends you will think will come apart.  Press the trim down lightly at first but as the glue adheres, press more firmly.  Please let this dry overnight. (I have seen tiny strings of pearls used here instead of trim--it's just that I had the trim & wanted to use it.

While the trim is drying, there are other things you can do while waiting (I hate to wait).  There is a punch that Martha Stewart has that looks like hydrangea blossoms.  This is what I used to punch out flowers in my desired (bridesmaids') color, which was purple.  I take two of the larger flower petals and lay them on top of each other so that the top flower "fills in" the bottom flower.  There is a smaller layer that can be used in the middle. These were "fussy glued" together (well, if you can fussy cut and you can fussy glue, right??).  Here you can take a couple of different paths: (1) Glue a crystal/rhinestone in the middle, or (2) punch a small-hole punch to punch a hole in each flower & use a brad to secure them together.  Set these aside to dry for a few minutes.

While you are waiting (!), it's time to punch out some fern branches to go under the hydrangea flowers. There are quite a few forms of ferns/small leaves that can be found in scrap booking/craft stores these days.  Find out that you like & you will find yourself using it everywhere!  I used two different colors of green for the fern branches.  Use as many or as few as YOU like.  Either glue dots or a fast-drying glue can be used to make them stick.

Now it's time to place the flowers on the cake (LINDA'S HINT: I like to place my flowers FIRST; the ferns/leaves go second). Consult my card for placement.  You could use less/more depending on your taste.  You could also drape some of the smaller flowers by themselves around the cake.  Then adhere ferns/leaves.

I decided to use small flowers to put in a group on the top of the cake.  You could use three large flowers or use wherever your imagination takes you.

I added three small butterflies with a Fiskars punch with Stampin' Up glitter paper in silver.

As a final touch, I put a small white ribbon around the middle of the card & anchored it with a bow on the front.

Remember when I said that I would learn by experience??????

I think I've just learned an important lesson after all of this; that is, my explanations are way too long and because of that, I don't think you understand the joy that card making gives me.  So, if you would like a detailed explanation of a card, just A-S-K!!  I will be more than happy to accommodate you.

For now, I will continue with the joy of card making and with less hot air.

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!!

Happy Stamping!

Linda Hasz

"Be still and know that I am God.: Psalms 46:10



1 comment:

Vicki said...

Wow! Amazing Card - lucky recipient!